Our society is evolving. Searching for the word green on the internet a couple of years ago would not have resulted in over 700 000 000 searches. Now words like conservation, climate change, fair-trade, social change and carbon footprint are becoming common place. Our attitudes are slowly changing and new attitudes are emerging towards ethical and ecological living. Some people think that introducing the word “green” into their policies and marketing is enough. A lot more can be done, a whole new ethical sphere has surfaced and it can be applied to our business models and marketing.
Communication and innovation will aplay a huge role in the evolution of human attitudes and behaviour. However, success will ultimately depend on the individual. The three P’s can help us address the challenges we face by demonstrating the interconnectivity between the person, people and the planet.
- How does the individual affect the planet?
- What will the changing environment have on our current lifestyle?
- What can the individual do to minimise their impact on the planet while maintaining current standards of lifestyle?
- Is this even possible and what changes will individuals have to make?
- How will the planet dictate our future behaviour?
- How do the actions of groups of people, companies and government impact way we live?
- How can we maintain human rights across the globe?
- What can we do to maintain respect towards each other and other people’s cultures?
- What can businesses, companies and governments do to address individuals facing poverty and climate change issues in developing countries?
- How can we implement positive social change?
- How can economies continue to grow without depleting planetary resources and increasing their carbon output?
- How will climate change, water shortages and energy shortages affect the way companies and businesses operate?
- What new businesses and technologies will and need to arise as solutions to our future challenges?
These are just some of the questions and challenges we face. An idea revolution is dawning upon us. Creativity, revolutionary innovation and communication are crucial to making the progression to sustainable development. Our future is set to change dramatically, isn’t it time we set new standards for innovation and marketing? Standards which favour the survival and harmony of our planet and its people!